The walk-up service is located on the 2nd floor of the Valley Library next to the Reference desk. As you enter the main double doors of the library, our desk will be to your right. Find us on Google Maps
Free In-Person Computer Help for Students and Employees
Friendly, helpful staff look forward to assisting and educating you in the areas of general computing, technology at OSU, effective application use, and security of your computer and personal information. We believe our efforts to enhance your interaction with the technology at OSU will be very successful.
As an education based service, the helpdesk staff will educate you on technology and best practices if you are interested in learning.
Please note that while OSU employees may bring their personal devices to us for support, we cannot support OSU-owned computers and devices. These are supported by a department's IT support staff (often referred to as Departmental Computer Administrators, or DCAs).
- Application support (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Operating system problem or error diagnosis
- Assistance and education with malware removal
- Laptop service (To best serve you, the Helpdesk requires you to stay with your laptop for 30 minutes to ensure the problem is completely understood and we have enough details from you to solve the problem.)
- Basic hardware diagnosis
- Simple hardware replacement: hard drive, CD-ROM, battery, RAM
- Laptop wireless connectivity
- Operating system installation/rebuilds
- Wireless printing
- Residence hall network (ResNet) connection help
- Technology education
- ONID, Blackboard, Online Services, and other campus technology support
- Referrals to the appropriate place for help
Our goal as a team is to help you overcome your computer problems, to the best of our ability. See our Home Page to find out more.
Services NOT available
- Desktop repair or troubleshooting
- Intensive hardware repairs such as motherboard or LCD screen replacements.
- Unassisted customer data backup. You must be present at all times. We prefer that you also bring your own backup medium, although we also have temporary, 30 day storage available.