About Exchange Accounts

Pause Here If...
If you are an employee of the College of Oceanography and Atmospheric Sciences (COAS), the College of Engineering (COE), or the College of Science (COS), this section on Exchange accounts may not apply to you.

Your IT support consultant(s) can let you know whether you will use Exchange for email or if you will use some other system. If you don't know how to contact your IT consultant, try looking them up on Network Engineering's website. You can also ask your supervisor or call the OSU Computer Helpdesk at 541-737-3474 and we'll help you get in touch with one.

Most faculty and staff will have an Exchange account, which includes an @oregonstate.edu email address. There are several differences between your Exchange account and your ONID account.

  • You will probably use your Exchange account, rather than your ONID account, as your primary account to send and receive email.
  • When you access Exchange resources, you will be asked for a username and a password. These are not the same as for your ONID account.
  • Whereas the OSU Computer Helpdesk provides support for your ONID account, your department employs separate staff to support your Exchange account.

Do you have an Exchange account?