Community Network officially supports Microsoft Lync. If you'd like to install Microsoft Lync on a CN-supported Windows machine, follow the instructions below. The screenshots on this page are specific to a Lync 2010 installation on Windows 7, and some steps may vary on other systems. CN is available to assist and help resolve any difficulties or questions that might arise throughout your Lync experience.
Mac users should contact CN for assistance installing Lync on your Mac.
Before You Begin
- Reserve 5-10 minutes to install and configure Lync. That said, the process can take just 2 minutes, depending on your computer's speed.
- The installation process may reboot your computer so it is critical that you close all open files and applications.
- Click on the Start button (and then Settings if you have Windows XP).
- Click on Control Panel and then double-click on Run Advertised Programs.
- Note: If you do not see the same icons, change from category view to Large or Small icon view.
- Click once on "Microsoft Lync 2010 – Lync 2010 x64 chain."
- Click on the Run Button. This will begin the installation process. This may take 10 minutes to complete, so please be patient.
- You will get a pop-up asking you to download the program. Right above the download button, there is a small box with the option to "Run program automatically when download completes." Please check that box and then click Download.
- This will begin the installation process. This install will be "silent". There is no other interaction required or seen.
- After a couple minutes Microsoft Lync will show up in your Start Menu.
- Then you may close out of all open windows and proceed with your previous tasks.
In most cases, you will not need to reboot your system, but do so if prompted. If you encounter any issues, please contact the Community Network at 541-737-8787.
Instructions for using Lync are available at the OSU Helpdocs website.